Thursday, October 8, 2009

Eggplant Parm

Ingredients
8 eggs
1/2 cup 2 tbsp water
2 cups flour
2 cups of dry bread crumbs
2 large eggplants sliced
2 cups vegetable oil
1 lb provolone cheese grated
2 cups grated parmesan chees
4 cups of marinara sauce


Directions
1. In a medium bowl, beat eggs and water. Place flour in another medium bowl and the dry bread crumbs in a third bowl. **for this I use progresso italian bread crumbs**

2. Dip eggplant slices in the flour, then egg mixture and then the crumbs.

3. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook the coated eggplant untill golden brown on both sides. drain. **I use 2 pans when doing this to get it done faster. After they are browned I put them on a plate or cookie sheet lined with papertowels to soak up the grease**

4. Preheat oven to 350 deg

5. Alternately layer the eggplant, provolone cheese, parmesan cheese,and marinara sauce in a baking dish;ending with the sauce. Bake covered for 1 hour. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

With this dish I do not go exactly as the ingredients/directions are listed.
I put a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of the dish, then I layer the eggplant slices, sauce, cheese. I like to end mine with cheese on top then put a little bit of sauce on top of that.

It takes time to put this together but it is worth it.

The first time I made this I used a pyrex baking dish and put it on top of the electric stove not realizing I turned the wrong burner on. The dish exploded and glass was everywhere. I was making this for our friends and they helped save some. Glenne got a piece of glass in his and so did one or two others but they kept eating cause it was so good. And yes....I now make sure I do not put it on the stove after it cooks, plus we now have a gas stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment